San Diego’s Planning Department is now proposing to bust the 30ft Height Limit. This is a result of Councilwoman Lorie Zapf’s refusal to protect the community. Despite her claims to the contrary, Zapf allowed the Planning Dept to move forward with their proposals to bust the limit.
1) While running for the District 2 Council Seat, on January 24, 2014, Councilwoman Lorie Zapf stated,
“We have a trolley that will go along Morena Boulevard, but up until now we haven’t had planning there,” Zapf said. “We need to look at a plan with more height and density and less parking than we see there today.” Link to full article.
2) In the same month, Sarah Boot, the democratic candidate for the District 2 seat left vacant by Kevin Falconer’s move to mayor published this flyer:
3) When Candidate Lorie Zapf realized her long-time supporters would vote for Sarah Boot unless Lorie reversed her position, Lorie REVERSED HER POSITION:
4) Lorie Zapf was able to instruct the Planning Director to remove any change to the 30ft height limit. That was 2014 when she was running for the District 2 seat. Ironically, in her campaign for re-election in November of 2018, Zapf refused to honor her commitment by her refusal to instruct the city planning department to return Land Use and Zoning (30Ft Height Limit) to the subcommittee that was recommending that the limit be maintained. (See # 6 below)
5) In October of 2016, when the Planning Department removed Land Use and Zoning (Height and Density Limits) from the purview and recommendations from the community’s subcommittee, the subcommittee drafted a letter to Zapf requesting that it be given back:
6) Councilwoman Lorie Zapf refused to answer the subcommittee’s request, and, to date, no written response has been received by the subcommittee from Zapf or the Mayor.
7) During the August 14, 2018 and September 11, 2018 meetings of the Clairemont Community Plan Update Committee, the City Planning Department presented proposals to bust the 30 Ft height limit in Clairemont, something that Zapf and the City Planners assured would never happen. The proposals to bust the 30ft Height Limit is a direct result of Councilwoman Lorie Zapf’s inaction to force Land Use and Zoning back into the hands of the subcommittee that was making the final recommendations. That final recommendation was to maintain the 30ft Limit.
We need to send a strong message to the City Planners and the City Council that we are mad as hell and aren’t going to take it anymore! Help us vote out Councilmember Lorie Zapf once and for all.